Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Moving Week!

Source
Moving week has arrived! I've been busy organizing, packing, and making lists. I've rented the moving truck and reserved the freight elevator. Now it is just a matter of putting the plan in motion!

Over the years, I've learned a lot about moving. Here is my top five list of advice for movers.

1. Don't buy boxes. It is a waste of money. Stop by your local grocery store or favorite restaurant. See if they can hold boxes for you when they get their shipments in. If you work in a large building, ask the shipping center. In my building there is a central shipping center for all of the companies located in our building. Shipments come in every day, which means they have a lot of boxes that they would just throw away.

2. Pack a separate bag for your essential items. I mean toothbrush, toothpaste, shower items, and clothes. You will want these things immediately and it is a pain to search your boxes for these. I use a small rolly-bag that I use as a carry-on when I fly. It fits just the right amount of stuff.

3. Change your address (online!). This may sound obvious, but with our lives existing so much in the interwebs these days, it is important that you remember to update your address in ALL of your accounts. Filling out the change-of-address card at the post office isn't enough and hasn't been for a long time. No matter what, though, there is always one or two accounts I forget about and end up discovering the error months later.

4. Make a shopping list. If you are anything like me, you try to use up all of the perishables in your apartment before you move so you have less to carry. I try to do this with any items that could "run-out." Obviously, this means food, but I also try to not buy any extra bottles of shampoo, bars of soap, and cleaning supplies right before I move if I can avoid it. Before I move I make a list of the things that I need to buy right after the move, which usually includes these perishable items.

5. Pester your landlord about that security deposit. Don't ever give up on getting a security deposit back if you have cleaned and followed all of the check-out rules! Security deposits are quite large in most cases, and they should actually GROW if your landlord is operating by the book. Most states require that landlords put security deposits in an interest-bearing account. Fight for your money!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the move!! I always steal from my dad's collection of 100 clear giant bins for a move, but not everyone is lucky enough to have that. haha

    Oh and PS, for interests sake, security deposits are illegal in Ontario. Some landlords still charge them, but it was never a worry for me! The landlord CAN charge you for major damage, however, so its not like we throw bricks through walls either. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Casey I'm so jealous of Canadians! Security deposits are just dumb, in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete