Monday, January 21, 2013

Updated 2013 Budget

Unless you have been living in a cave, you have probably heard that taxes went up in the U.S. in 2013. My tax increases were mainly in my contributions to social security. Last year I paid $746.14 per month in taxes, this year I will be paying $814.72 a month in taxes, an increase of $68.58 per month, or $822.96 per year. For the first time in my life, I calculated how much I will pay in taxes for an entire year - a whopping $9,776.64!

So what does this really mean for me? It means I have to tweak my budget a bit to account for the loss of $70 per month. Not a huge deal, but that is still $70 that was mine last month but not this month.

So, here is my budget for 2013. Keep in mind that I never account for my waitressing income in my budget, because all of my wages from that job go towards my debt.
2013 Budget

Some other changes:

Laundry - My new apartment building laundromat uses a card system, which means I now have to put money on it in order to do laundry. I previously never budgeted for laundry because my mom always gave me quarters (nice, huh?). Now that won’t work. I’ve budgeted in $15/month for laundry. We’ll see if that will be enough!

Additional Loan Payment - I have finished saving for my trip to Europe next summer, which means I now have $150 a month that I can use elsewhere. After thinking about it for a while, I couldn’t really come up with anything else I need to save for at the moment. But I do want to get out of debt faster, so I’m putting an additional $150 to my debt every month for a while until I decide I want to save for something else. Keep that snowball going!

No comments:

Post a Comment