Wednesday, January 9, 2013

War on Clutter!

Today I had an interesting exchange with my mom over email. She asked me about a few larger items in their home that she wanted to get rid of and asked if I wanted them. Then she went on to say that she just doesn’t know what to do with all of the stuff in her house. She asked me the question “What should I get rid of?”

My first thought: CLUTTER!

What bothers me about so many homes is the sheer amount of small items a person can accumulate. The problem is rarely the big items. That heirloom piece of furniture? Keep it! The 20 bottles of hairspray? NO. One does not need so much of one thing, even if it is an item you will use. Perhaps what happens is once you get a larger space you think you should buy things to have “just in case.” Like lotion, soap, or non-perishable food. Pretty soon, though, you forget you even bought the item. Until one day you decide to tackle your “junk room” or that kitchen cupboard you can never reach and realize you have so much wrapping paper, box macaroni and cheese, or bandaids you don’t know what to do with it all!

I decided a long time ago that clutter was not for me. Knick-knacks? Use sporadically. Lotion/Shampoo/Other bathroom supplies? Have no more than one extra of each. This drastically cuts down the amount of closet and shelf space that one needs, plus it means you buy what you actually need, not what you think you might need later.

I’ve trained myself to avoid clutter, but for the rest of you it might not be so easy. Maybe this little flowchart will help:

This chart might not make the ilovecharts tumblr page, but it gets my point across! What do you think about clutter?

No comments:

Post a Comment