Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Wicker Basket DIY

Remember when I said a while back that I had a ton of project ideas and not enough time to do them all? Yeah, that's still the case. But...I did get one project done before the madness of travel and the Easter holiday. I spray painted wicker baskets!

This was super-easy, and anyone can do it. I swear! All you need are some fugly wicker baskets, paint primer, and spray paint. Oh, and a yard. Do not do this indoors.

Here are the three wicker baskets I started with:
I took each wicker basket outside one-by-one, and wearing rubber gloves, applied a basic primer. I used this one from ACE Hardware. After I primed each one I let them sit for an hour.


Note the rubber gloves. They are a must. As is spraying with the wind. If you don't, paint blows right back at you.

For the final color I chose a deep blue that matches other blues in my apartment. This is the exact brand I used.
It got a bit messy at the end, and I had to be careful to get every nook and cranny of the wicker. One additional tip, if you have to dry these indoors like I did, open a window. Spray paint stinks!
This was also a really cheap DIY. The spray paint cans cost me about $8 total and the wicker baskets were free!

No comments:

Post a Comment