Monday, July 22, 2013

Debt Update: Less Than $10k to Go!

It is with great happiness that I share the following news: I’ve hit the major milestone of being under $10,000 owed on my student loans!
I'm as happy has this guy!

Current debt total = $8,873.02

This gets me closer to my goal of being debt free by the end of the year - hallelujah!

How did I get below $10,000 so quickly? By sticking to the following principles:

  • Put any extra money/unexpected income towards my debt
  • Stick to the budget
  • Sell stuff
  • Make easy substitutions that impact your cash-flow, such as check out books/movies from the library instead of buying them, or walk to work on nice days instead of take the bus/train.
As my grandmother used to say, "'It won't be long now,' the monkey said as his tail got caught in the lawnmower!"

2 comments:

  1. Your grandmother has some odd sayings.

    congrats on getting under 10k! I cant wait for your big $0 debt post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't wait - imagine how I feel! :)

    And yes, my grandmother did have some odd sayings. That is only the tip of the iceberg!

    ReplyDelete