Thursday, October 10, 2013

Old Cardboard Box = Pretty Desk Organizer

A few weekends ago, I decided it was high time I did something about my desk. You may remember that the final product of this included a cute little black and white patterned box

I had the idea that I should have some sort of catch-all space on my desk, it being without drawers and all. I had a small cardboard box and a about 2 feet of excess fabric on my hands. Perfect for this little project!

Here is my quick tutorial. You’ll need:

  • Cardboard box
  • Fabric - enough to cover the box (I used 1.5 - 2 feet)
  • Tape
  • Hot glue gun + glue sticks
  • Newspaper

Step One:
Prepare your fabric by first ironing it, then cutting out the appropriate amount. I didn’t need to cut mine since the length and width of my fabric was perfect. Lay newspaper to cover your work surface. The glue gets messy!



Step Two: 
“Wrap” the box with your fabric. I actually wrapped this like I would a present, tape and all. This allowed me to see how the box would look with the fabric on it before I started gluing. I taped everything where I wanted, then started in with the glue gun.

Step Three: 
Remove the tape on one of the long sides and glue. Repeat on the other long side.

Step Four: 
Remove the tape on one of the short sides and glue. Repeat on the other short side. 

Step Five: 
Trim any loose ends off the fabric inside the box and put any final touches of glue in loose areas. Let sit for a good hour or more to let the glue harden and cool. 

And there you have it! A much more colorful box and it cost me nothing as I had all of the pieces of this project already! 

Make up any projects out of the blue lately? I’d love to hear about them. Or better yet, feature one on your blog and point me to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment