Tuesday, November 26, 2013

No Microwave?

In a continuing effort to declutter and minimize the amount of stuff I have, I did something big this weekend. I took my microwave out of the kitchen. Since I moved in a year ago, I started noticing how infrequently I actually use the microwave. This is probably do to cooking more fresh meals and eating less processed foods (i.e. instant dinners) that require a microwave.

Disclaimer: I haven't sold the microwave yet. It is sitting in my closet right now. I'm just holding on to it for a little bit to see if I can truly live without it. My goal is to make it to January and if I haven't needed it during that time, I'm listing the thing on Craigslist!

I never thought about not having a microwave, but in the last year I've noticed how little counter space I have in my kitchen. Not having enough room to prepare food has really annoyed me, and I couldn't help take a glance at the microwave, sitting there taking up a ton of space, and wondering if I really needed it.

And now look at how much space I have as compared to before!

I'd love to hear others' take on getting rid of the microwave. Have you done it?

8 comments:

  1. My microwave is built in over the stove, so I wont be getting rid of it, but I actually rarely use it! Maybe just for defrosting meat when I forget and reheating leftovers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had one built in over the stove that would certainly make things easier! Whoever thought of that was a genius :)

      Delete
  2. I grew up without a microwave. Something about it giving you cancer....we have one now, at Matt's insistence, but it's totally a convenience item. For the space, I think a toaster oven is far superior!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been sans microwave for over a week now and I haven't missed it yet :) Everything gives you cancer, you know!

      Delete
  3. We stopped using ours last year. I moved it off the counter and over to the side of the kitchen. We rarely used it. Because we were in a rental, we left it out and available so it wouldn't get packed by our movers! The one we have here is built in over the stove and b/c it's handy we use it more. ;( I'd love to not have one again, or build up enough thought and planning again to just not utilize it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The over-the-stove ones are the way to go! I'm so happy with my extra counter space now!

      Delete
  4. Did you donate or relocate half of your wine glasses or is this post party?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I had a few wine glasses in the kitchen sink at this time :)

      Delete