Given these limitations, the space became an unorganized jumble of spices and other miscellany:
Last week I found a solution to this mess! I ordered these jars off of Amazon, along with a chalk pen and stick-on labels. They came in the mail on Friday, just in time for a spectacular weekend project!
I spent a good hour transferring the spices to the new jars, and then adhered the labels. Warning - turmeric leaves a stain. Use newspaper or paper towels to protect your table or counter! Part of my dining room table has a tint of yellow to it now due to spilling the turmeric. I've put in some elbow grease just to get the yellow color to calm down - it is almost out now.
Next, I put the jars in place and was surprised that I can actually see what spices I have! Before, I had to dig around the mess to find what I was looking for. Not anymore!
The jars were such a simple solution, I don't know why it didn't occur to me to do this before!
And here is the before and after of my kitchen: