Tuesday, March 18, 2014

DIY Army Vest

In my effort to minimize my wardrobe and re-use pieces I already have, I've pretty much been following Putting Me Together's recommendations. One of the items I love in her collection is the army vest.

As you saw in last Tuesday's post, I went on a little shopping trip a few weeks ago and I purchased several items that greatly enhanced the versatility of my wardrobe. One of the items I couldn't find, though, was the army vest.

When I got home from the shopping spree (aka only 3 hours of actual shopping - I can't stomach more than that!), I was sorting through my "give away" pile of clothes I had cleared out of my closet. In the pile, I found a shirt that looked exactly like an army vest, but it had sleeves. I knew I had this piece, but when I put it in the "give away" pile, I didn't think of how I could turn this into the army vest I needed.

As I'm sifting through the pile, a light bulb went off in my head. I had the amazing idea that I could turn a shirt like this...


Old Navy


...into a vest like this!
Old Navy

In my excitement, I didn't even bother taking a picture of the actual shirt before I started ripping out seams. I went directly for the sewing kit, got my seam ripper, and went to town on the sleeves! After a good 30 minutes of ripping, I ended up with this amazing vest:



I was so proud of myself for thinking to make the item I wanted instead of buying it new. Yay for repurposing!

Speaking of repurposing, I recently tore up a stained white tank-top and made it into dish towels. Not as exciting, obviously, but still fun to get the most out of your stuff!

What have been your latest "light bulb" moments? Any repurposing tricks/tips?

2 comments:

  1. Perfect! I actually had a wrap dress that I didn't like the sleeves on. They were a bit puffy and felt too juvenile. I can't remember if it's still hanging around. I gave it to Kenz and she gave it the nix. I wonder if it's still in her donate pile? I'll have to check before sending the pile out. I could do the exact same thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! It was actually really fun and empowering :)

      Delete