Thursday, May 8, 2014

Homemade Products: Shampoo & Conditioner

Last fall I decided to try making deodorant. Over the past year, I've been reading up on all the chemicals that enter my body, either topically or via ingesting food, and have decided it is worth it to try and "go natural" in as many ways as I can. My first real foray was deodorant. I was scared at first, but now I am so happy I made the effort. The deodorant works great and has lasted quite a while, too. I estimate I'll have to make a batch of it every 10-12 months or so. Whether this averages out to be more cost effective in the long run, I don't know. What I do know is that I'm not wasting the packaging of store-bought deodorant, nor am I putting crazy chemicals whose names I can't even pronounce in my body. All good things!

Since the homemade deodorant experiment went well, I was ready to give the homemade thing another shot. This time I've tackled my hair products. First up, shampoo and conditioner.

First the shampoo. Here is the recipe, which I got from my cousin:
4/5 coconut milk
1/5 castille soap
Shake together in a reusable bottle. THAT IS ALL. Super-simple.


All mixed together!

Next the conditioner, which is actually a conditioning rinse.
2 cups water or cooled tea (tea optional)
3 tblsp. raw apple cider vinegar (Bragg's)
A few drops of essential oil (optional)



If you are using the tea option, which I did, then boil the 2 cups water and let it steep for 20 minutes with 2 black tea bags and 2 rooibos bags. 

I have dark hair, so the rooibos tea will give it a red tint, apparently. If you have light hair, go with a chamomile tea. I ended up making a double batch so that I would enough to last me a while.

After letting it steep and cool, I poured it into the empty bottle and that was it! Easy!

I've used this shampoo and conditioner for the last few days, and there is definitely a difference. My hair appears to be a bit greasier as well as a tad lighter. I'm going to give it time and let my hair adjust to the new routine.

Next, I'll try making a conditioning treatment (a must for anyone in a four-season climate) and styling gel. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. OH! Please share how this goes! And if you don't mind posting a link to the deodorant once more?! It's been too hot here and mine melted. Does yours? Do you store it in the fridge? (I don't want to do that!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, I gave it a month and the castille soap left my hair too oily :(

      However, I did end up making my own hair gel, which I love! I didn't blog about that, though. Maybe I'll share in a future post. I'm back to some tea tree oil-based shampoo/conditioner.

      Delete