Monday, July 21, 2014

Homemade Products: Laundry Detergent

As I've mentioned several times, I've been replacing some store-bought items with homemade versions. My latest homemade product attempt is laundry detergent. I followed a recipe from the blog Steph Makes Stuff almost exactly. Her recipe calls for Downy Unstoppables, but I didn't see the point in adding those in, so I skipped that ingredient. Here are the ingredients that I used:


2 cups borax
2 cups washing soda
2 bars fels naptha soap
Drops of essential oil (optional)

The whole thing took me about 15 minutes to put together, and that was because I had to grate the two bars of soap. I followed Steph's instructions to only use two teaspoons, and after my first load of laundry, that amount seemed to do the trick. I might add a tiny bit more, but no more than a few tablespoons at the most. This laundry detergent packs a big punch in small quantities!


I have also made hair gel recently, which has turned out well. That will likely be my next "homemade product" update, and perhaps another foray into homemade shampoo and conditioner eventually. The first one I tried made my hair very greasy!

No comments:

Post a Comment